To the former stewards of our land, who have moved to Connecticut: Saturday I mulched the plants you left behind.
The cherry weeps; the phlox creeps; their blooms are past. The lilacs peaked and are starting to fade. I have been curious about the weigela, since reading Cassandra Danz's Mrs. Greenthumbs, and was glad to meet yours, at the corner. The daisies and dianthus are in full bloom. The hemerocallis lilies are budding, the asiatics gaining height. I gave the hostas at our last house away, but will let yours remain. The roses along the front sidewalk survived, with only a few inches of winterkill. The climber by the mailbox did not. I have planted tomatoes along the back of the house, where you left a few volunteers.
Just thought you might want to know.
Recommended reading: Mrs. Greenthumbs, by Cassandra Danz
Mrs. Greenthumbs, by Cassandra Danz, helped me get started. She's passed away now, too early, in her mid-50's. She was also an actress, and did comedic garden spots on Regis and Kathie Lee.
ReplyDelete