And I love anybody who loves that book. :-) My son's pediatric opthalmologist had just finished reading it, at our last appointment, and was moved by it. And I liked her even more than I had liked her before.
I got to hear Martha Beck speak in person at the National DS Society convention in Nashville a few years ago. She attended a class reunion, a number of years after the book was written. Her Harvard professor, who had been so negative about continuing pregnancy once a diagnosis of DS was made, was there. He had had some kind of accident, and was now a quadriplegic, unable to speak. The group gave him a standing ovation, as tears were running down his face. A poignant story.
Oh my goodness! I've read that book and I postively loved It!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd I love anybody who loves that book. :-)
ReplyDeleteMy son's pediatric opthalmologist had just finished reading it, at our last appointment, and was moved by it. And I liked her even more than I had liked her before.
I got to hear Martha Beck speak in person at the National DS Society convention in Nashville a few years ago. She attended a class reunion, a number of years after the book was written. Her Harvard professor, who had been so negative about continuing pregnancy once a diagnosis of DS was made, was there. He had had some kind of accident, and was now a quadriplegic, unable to speak. The group gave him a standing ovation, as tears were running down his face. A poignant story.
Is that your son? What a sweet photo.
ReplyDeleteYes, that's him. :-) He doesn't hide his feelings, when he's excited. That's such a blessing, when you have a nonverbal child.
ReplyDelete