Thursday, August 11, 2005

Facing reality: precursor to grace

Last month, I read J. Mark Bertrand's account of Andy Crouch's speech to the Christian Booksellers Association about the need for more realism in Christian fiction. Crouch speaks:

And this is the most basic test for quality in fiction, it seems to me: is it absolutely faithful to the real, and absolutely faithful to what is strange and extraordinary within the real? For the Christian this is another way of saying, is it about grace? Because grace is the interruption of the unexpected in the real. Cheap stories barely touch reality—they present a simplified simulacrum of reality, a version that is easier for the storyteller and for the reader alike.
This week, I read Catez Steven's review of the movie City of God, which depicts life in a slum in Rio de Janeiro. She realizes some Christians would have problems with the language and violence depicted in the film.

The film has an R rating, so I'm not giving a blanket recommendation to see it. I know some people will have a different criteria than mine. But it has me thinking too. So much of the popular visual Christian media is tailored to our Western comfort zone. To be frank, some of it seems to be about "bless me and don't portray the harder aspects of others lives".

I have to say that related questions arise in the minds of some parents of children with special needs. We sometimes limit sharing about our experience with those outside the disability community because we are afraid they couldn't handle the truth of how hard it is. They are too weak. Or they would condemn us as complaining or tell us to get a Prozac prescription. Or it would increase the prejudices they already have against those with disabilities. They may just not care. It takes time to listen.

1. When you are not open to hearing about the pain and struggle of a person's history, you are closing off an avenue to hear of the grace that accompanied it.

2. Accompanying someone along a difficult journey is a risk. Will grace happen?

Reading: Peanut's Story, Just Thinking
Cheap Hope (HT: Mere Comments)

16 comments:

  1. This was a great post, Julana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:09 PM

    I know exactly what you mean. I don't talk very much about the truth of our struggle with our son. The day to day is too much for people...too much for ME sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:12 PM

    It totally befuddles me how we are to help those less fortunate, but for many christians it requires they break out of their sanitized surroundings.. how sad that only the minority do this.

    Frugal for Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julana, this is a beautiful post, thank you. I have linked this to Scotwise, in Around The Bilogs!

    GBYAY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Julana. God's vision is so different to what we naturally incline to isn't it? One of the reasons that I enjoy your blog is that you talk reality from a different spirit (different to the world).

    (also - it's "Stevens" with a "v" - and don't worry, about 100 other people have done that too!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Mel, Dawn, John.

    Sparrow, I have heard this from others. At least, we are not alone.

    Sorry, Catez. Sleep deprivation strikes once more. I like your blog, because it does not shy away from hard realities.

    How can it honor God, to imply Christianity cannot handle hard situations?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:02 AM

    Often it takes a tragedy, a loss, or some other attention-getter to get Christians to face realities they would rather not face.

    I found those who had been in my shoes were the first on the scene of my sorrows. And now my radar is poised.

    Frankly, I simply didn't understand until it was happening to me. I can't blame others for not embracing my struggles or sharing in my pain. God has brought people in my life who *do* understand, and some day I will be used in a similar fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mopsy,
    What you say is true. People cannot understand something deeply, totally, until they have experienced it for themselves.

    On the other hand, we are called to bear one anothers' burdens. People can gain some level of understanding and empathy by taking time to listen, read, or watch films about issues they have not experienced.

    And I feel Christians are responsible to do that. When they try, sometimes they find parallels in their experience that were not apparent at first glance--and that aids understanding.

    You are right, in that the greatest empathy comes from one who has actually been in the same place. Incarnation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julana, I sometimes feel guilty because my life, compared to so many others, has been easy. I know, though, there is a special quality in the lives of those who have lived in crucibles like yours. It makes me a little envious - but if given the choice, would I want to change places?

    You said: People can gain some level of understanding and empathy by taking time to listen, read, or watch films about issues they have not experienced. Which is one of the reasons I enjoy your blog -- you have such a light spirit in the face of daunting circumstances. God bless you as you inspire others - like me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When you are not open to hearing about the pain and struggle of a person's history, you are closing off an avenue to hear of the grace that accompanied it.

    This is very true. I had a friend who said she could not understand why I would want to read a book as dismal as Angela's Ashes. I explained to her that what I found good about it was the way that Frank McCourt turned abject misery into something poignantly funny. It's hard to see others' misfortuntes; people want to believe that the Christian life is all sunshine and roses when it isn't always so.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Violet,
    Thank you--I'm sure you've had challenges, too. I read an interview of Bret Lott, where he said he liked to be around older people, because they've survived so much, just by living.

    Kim,
    We know non-Christians go through hard situations. How will they know Christianity can stand up to difficulties if they don't see us admitting to any?
    It does seem that some Christians feel portraying Christian life as being without major struggles is more glorifying to God than being honest.

    I haven't read Angela's Ashes, but would like, sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous12:32 PM

    Julana, you wrote It does seem that some Christians feel portraying Christian life as being without major struggles is more glorifying to God than being honest.

    I have noticed that too. No wonder when things get tough many jump ship. When we aren't honest about trials and pain, we set up those who are young in the faith for an unwelcome surprise when they realize following Christ is not the shallow happyfest others promise or portray.

    Being honest allows others to come out of the woodwork with their own stories of trial, hope, and redemption. We minister to each other when we allow others to enter in.

    Those who wish to keep their trials a secret may be unwittingly causing someone else, who feels terribly alone, further pain because they do not believe anyone else shares the same struggle.

    Can you tell this subject has really captured me? LOL. I've read your blog for a long time but never commented. Great work all around, Julana.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous1:49 PM

    Grace and Peace to you Julana..

    I love coming here and having my mind stimulated!!!! It reminds me that there is a brain in there somewhere.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mopsy,
    Exactly. We must have been down some of the same roads. Welcome over. :-)

    Barbara,
    I know you've got a brain. Being a parent is one of the most intellectually demanding jobs there is. I did not realize this until I had a child.
    Trust me, there is a brain in there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. GReat entry. My first time stopping by and I will return.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good to meet you, Dee. I checked out your blog and see you're from Georgia. We lived there for awhile. Great state, if you can take the summer heat. So beautiful in spring,with the dogwoods and azaleas.

    ReplyDelete