Thursday, August 04, 2005

Summer joy 8: surprises in the garden

This week Early Girl lived up to her name, as she pulled into second, behind the cherry tomatoes. Yesterday I found what I thought were sloooowly ripening red tomatoes (when I checked several days ago) had turned golden yellow, and I picked 20 in one day! Eleven red tomatoes were ready on the three other plants, which had yielded a grand total of four or five, so far.
If you are a gardener, you know these little surprises are among gardening's choice rewards.

3 comments:

  1. Yum - I love tomatoes! Reading through your archives now... I think it's interesting that we're reading some of the same blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:05 AM

    Love this photo!

    To me, ripening tomatoes and picking runner beans is what it is all about..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am ever so late here, but I love your tomato picture. It sort of fits with a tomato poem I wrote last fall:

    Adolesence

    Five tomatoes ripening
    on my window ledge
    four are small and hard and green
    the fifth is on the edge

    of young tomato adulthood
    large, red-green and blushing
    cast out from every unripe vine
    of gossiping... and wishing

    ReplyDelete