Shadows are falling dark on the lea;
Borne on the night winds, voices of yore,
Come from the far-off shore.
Chorus:Voices of loved ones! Songs of the past!
Far away beyond the starlit skies,
Where the love-light never, never dies,
Gleameth a mansion filled with delight,
Sweet happy home so bright!
Still linger round me, while life shall last
Sadly I wander, lonely I roam,
Seeking that far-off home.
Come in the Twilight, come, come to me!
Bringing some message, over the sea;
Cheering my pathway, while here I roam,
Seeking that far-off home.
--Aldine S. Kieffer
I heard this sung several times in western Ontario, by the five daughters of the director of the mission I served under. I was three days from home, as a car travels, and still seven hours south of my final destination. The rules of the mission had left me in a hairstyle to which I was unaccustomed and the inability to wear a large part of my wardrobe.
Beautiful song. And it sounds like an interesting story in regards to your mission experience. Perhaps you'll share it someday (or have you already, as I am new to your blog).
ReplyDeleteThanks for your nice comment at my blog today. My daughter has lupus - and it's been a long haul over the past 18 months.
Many blessings to you and yours.
That comment above was from me - my mistake about not putting in my identity correctly!
ReplyDeleteOh. . .so you are part of the sisterhood. Last night I went to a Christian group of moms of children with developmental disabilities. It is great to be around people who don't talk about disabilities all the time, yet they understand, when the subject comes up.
ReplyDeleteI guess your situation is a little different. Nevertheless, I hope you have a good support system. When you have a child with special needs of any kind, you find there is an alternative universe out there-- of language, people, supports, challenges, struggles, and significant milestones. Such as getting off prednisone.
"Thrill of victory and agony of defeat" take on whole new meanings.
PS. Re the mission situation-- yes, I probably will write about that at some point. It's rather difficult to be "objective" about. But then, maybe one wouldn't want to be.
ReplyDeleteMy son never needed to take prednisilone for extended periods. It would be a sharp burst and then weaning him off when the episode was under control... (for severe asthma) so I can't really identify from that aspect, but Owen has specific learning difficulties and, where as it is not a physical handicap as such, I can emphasise a little, and agree wholeheartedly with advocating having a group support mechanism in place..
ReplyDeleteIt is soo good to talk - and soo good to listen..and it is soo soo good to know that there are others "who know"!!!!!
Barbara,
ReplyDeleteYou, like many other moms, sounds like you have become part medical doctor and part (developmental)psychologist along the way. An expert on your own child.
Julana: I also have a younger daughter who has ADHD, innatentive type. Because this is a diagnosis which I have some expertise in as a psychotherpist, I am able to help her with her "issues", and we keep a very structured environment going for her. My daughter with lupus not only has the medical issues, but there is a huge emotional component to it as well. Luckily, we have a strong relationship, and we are able to talk about how she's doing.
ReplyDeleteSo, while I am definitely my kids' support system, I have yet to find one for myself. I live in a small town, plus I am a psychotherapist, so I can't really join a support group because of my profession - there would probably be a patient of mine in the group, or I would end up leading the group!!! I do have some friends who are great - and I am finding that I am making many wonderful friends in the blogging community. It will be nice to get to know you as we exchange comments.
My Kids' Mom,
ReplyDeleteYou surely have some challenges on your hands. It is amazing how many strong women are out here in the blog community.
It is so helpful to have people who understand to share with. Some days, it saves your sanity.