Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Unreached people group

If you have time, check out Christianity Today's Fear Not the Disabled.

In the debate over human embryonic stem cells, Christians are right to defend the humanity and dignity of the embryo. But our well-reasoned words are unlikely to convince people who fear disease and incapacitation if we do not also demonstrate real pro-life compassion for a whole class already here—people with disabilities.
* * * * * *
Whether the law mandates it or not, we should make every reasonable effort, especially as we build new facilities, to remove the physical barriers that keep the disabled from our houses of worship. This means providing curb cuts, ramps, adequate handicapped parking spaces, and doors and aisles wide enough for a wheelchair.* If we don't, they won't come. The disabled and the family members who care for them constitute one of the great unreached groups of our time.**
Just as important as physical accommodation is an attitude that welcomes the physically and mentally challenged with open arms. A church that welcomes the disabled is great, but a bolder step forward is for churches to be inclusive. When people with disabilities are recognized as participants, not as "the needy," we all benefit. Paul reminded the Corinthians that "the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable." The disabled need the church—almost as much as the church needs the disabled.

Many of us over here in the "parallel universe" know this. As a friend who has pushed disability ministry in the church uphill for years says, "The public schools are doing a better job of including people with disabilities than the churches are." Sleepers, awake.

How many times have you seen a person with a significant handicap performing a meaningful task/function in a church?

Relevant link: Christian Council on Persons with Disabilities

*Don't forget those with poor vision and the hearing-impaired.
**Don't forget the doctors, nurses, therapists, aides, social workers, and educators who watch.

6 comments:

  1. Good post.

    I have a child with an iq of 46 and another of 71.

    I had dreamt of teaching my children so many things. It is difficult to adjust.

    The Nazi extermination of peoples began with an infanticide, a child with disabilities.

    Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curious servant,
    Thank you for visiting my blog. I read your story on your blog. What an amazing life you have had. May God bless you and your wife for your faithfulness in caring for your children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things have been unusual, I admit. I'm not sure I would believe it if it was in a novel.

    "Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't."
    -- Mark Twain


    Thank you for your kind words and visit to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you have endured much suffering. Your story is heart-rending. I am glad your faith has sustained you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julana,
    I've mentioned this at BlogWatch. I hope some people come over and read it - it's a challenging and needed post I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Catez. I'm glad Christianity Today published the article.

    I think many people think that because they see one or two disabled people sitting in the back of the church, that the church is "welcoming."
    Usually those people were members before they became handicapped, or their family, who is bringing them, attended before they had a handicapped child/parent.

    I don't think it is common for people to join a church, once disability enters the picture, if they have not attended before. It takes a lot more effort to get to church, and they can expect physical, as well as social, obstacles to surmount once they arrive.

    ReplyDelete