Sunday, November 20, 2005

November thanksgiving 21a: first amendment to the U.S. Constitution

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
This week I (inadvertently) angered someone in a newsgroup by quoting our bumpersticker:
It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish.
Mother Teresa 1910-1997
I am thankful the First Amendment protects freedom of speech, along with freedom of religion, the press, and assembly.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice blog, cool pictures. I do hope more people come to read one another stories. I hope your son is doing well. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came, a few blogs back, from reading this at evangelical outpost. Must confess I didn't slog through all 169 comments, but several of the few I read had me seeing red!

    Double whammy when I read your short post here. Great bumper sticker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that bumper sticker (of course, I have always loved MOther Theresa). You mentioned you angered somebody . . . can you give any more details in terms of what they said and how you responded?

    ReplyDelete
  4. powerful quote Julana. I had never heard this one before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Zeljko.

    Oh, Violet,
    I hadn't even seen that one. I just check in over there when all my mental gears are functioning.
    :-) Joe's comments are always a hotbed of opinion.

    MKM,
    I may do a follow-up post on it. I commented on a long post on the DS parents list, that was part of an ongoing discussion, following the development of the new test for DS in the first trimester of pregnancy. I just agreed with a writer, and quoted the bumpersticker.

    A long-time member of the list from New Zealand, who is vocally pro-choice, found that to be the last straw, made a personal reference to me, and is signing off the list. (I am not a frequent contributor.) She finds the list to be too pro-life, and too reflective of (educational and political) issues only facing parents in the U.S.

    I have left several times myself, and resubscribed, for various reasons. I find the pro-choice contingent on the list often rude and arrogant. I did not respond to her post, because I knew it would go nowhere but down.

    I continue to be bemused that a list promoting the welfare of people with DS has such frequent flare-ups over the abortion issue. The pro-choice parents are adamant that DS is not a sufficient reason for aborting, but they are just as adamantly pro-choice.

    Christie,
    I thought so, too. We saw it on a car bumper, and I really liked it. My husband googled it, and ordered eight! We now have them on both cars. :-)

    ReplyDelete