We are climbing Jacob’s ladder,
We are climbing Jacob’s ladder,
We are climbing Jacob’s ladder,
Soldiers of the cross.
Every round goes higher, higher,
Every round goes higher, higher,
Every round goes higher, higher,
Soldiers of the cross.
Sinner, do you love my Jesus?
Sinner, do you love my Jesus?
Sinner, do you love my Jesus?
Soldiers of the cross.
If you love Him, why not serve Him?
If you love Him, why not serve Him?
If you love Him, why not serve Him?
Soldiers of the cross.
Rise, shine, give God the glory,
Rise, shine, give God the glory,
Rise, shine, give God the glory,
Soldiers of the cross.
--African-American spiritual
Pete Seeger's variation
Lewis Scharpf, Jr.'s variation
Bruce Springsteen adds his version of Seeger's, which has also been rendered by Arlo Guthrie.
* * * * * * *
(edited)This song has been running through my mind lately, partly as an affirmation that when some aspects of life begin to seem endlessly repetitive, they are not. Every rung is taking us higher.
Over twenty years ago, I spent two years in the Canadian bush country, living on the edge of a lake which was frozen solid from (roughly) November to April. Over one Christmas break, when the students were gone, the single staff trudged across the vast white expanse of the lake to reach a hill referred to by staff as "King's Lookout," after a former staff who liked to hike to it regularly (if I remember correctly).
When we were out in the middle of the lake, we did not seem to move for long periods of time, in relation to the shoreline. The dry snow was over a foot deep. The leader struck a straight course for the lookout. Those behind him stepped into the deep footprints he left behind, over and over, over and over. At times, the monotony of the repetition seemed as if it would slowly drive one crazy.
However, eventually, over time, landmarks on the shoreline could be seen to shift. And finally, our long strung out line reached the far shore, and progress became "normal" again. We passed a tree, a bush, a rock, dried grass, in rapid succession. We gained elevation; we attained the lookout, where we could see for miles, even view our long, snaking trail across the lake.
Then we began the descent, and the long journey back. We were tired; the destination was not (at first) as exciting,* but we had learned the continuous up-and-down motion of our knees would bear fruit. It was the price of the journey.
Maybe a little like picking cotton, washing the dishes, cleaning the bathroom, teaching a child to eat or toilet. We are headed home.
*But became ever more attractive as we neared it.
Great post Julana, it touched me deeply.
ReplyDeleteBe encouraged!
GBYAY
Thank you so much, John.
ReplyDelete"but we had learned the continuous up-and-down motion of our knees would bear fruit. "
ReplyDeleteI think God is trying to tell me something...*smile*...and using your blog post to confirm it. Thanks for the imagery Julana.
Hmmm....thank you Julana - an encouraging post.
ReplyDeleteWelcome, Ria.
ReplyDeleteBelieve me, Sparrow,this comes right out of my life, too. :-)
Thank you, Islandsparrow--we passed each other. :-)
ReplyDeleteI once drove non-stop from Florida to Southern California.
ReplyDeleteTexas seemd like what you described. hour after hout the scenery didn't change. If it wasn't for the blinking yellow line I wouldn't have been able to tell if I was moving.
Life can be like that.
Nothing seems to change. We slug on.
And then, one day, we realize we have moved, have changed.
Thank you
Curious Servant,
ReplyDeleteMaybe having children with special needs gives us a certain commonality in that sort of experience, in certain ways. Thank you for your comment.
"...when some aspects of life begin to seem endlessly repetitive, they are not. Every rung is taking us higher."
ReplyDeleteWhat a profound statement! There is so much truth buried in the depth of that statement! Thanks for sharing.
Thinking of you this week Julana - and lifting you up in prayer.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Pilot Mom. I had to have gray hair to write this one, I think. It comes over time.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Islandsparrow. As parents of children with special needs, we have periodic periods of intenses stress, usually related to health, funding, or education issues. Suddenly, on Friday afternoon, it became education.
I appreciate your prayers. I know many other people are praying about this situation.
I loved this Julana! I liked too how the view became clearer as time went on. Something I've been thinking about.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Catez.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Catez. I needed that.
ReplyDelete(My offline life has suddenly blown a hole into blogging.)
Just dropping in to tell you that I am thinking of you and praying for you - that the Lord will give you His peace and courage - and direction.
ReplyDeleteWe are Christian soldiers...
ReplyDeleteFrom a south georgian swamp water baby, bless ya. I had to stop what I was doing and sing that song like my Granny used to sang it during devotional service.
Thank you.
Thank you, Islandsparrow. This situation may surface in a blog later. Right now, it's just advocacy deja vu all over again. At least it's a group of parents, and not me alone.
ReplyDeleteDee,
I need that in real space and time. Brenda Coulter had a way to call a phone number and talk on her blog. You should sing that for a post. That would be great.
Still with you in prayer
ReplyDeleteIslandsparrow,
ReplyDeleteThank you.
The one good thing that comes out of things like this is that you do make new friends.
This struggle is not so much about my son individually, as it is about the school district's future in general.
It's hard to decide how involved to get. Several of us are still stressed.