Saturday, March 18, 2006

Third Sunday of Lent: crossing over

Michael row the boat ashore, hallelujah,
Michael row the boat ashore, hallelujah.
My brothers and sisters are all aboard, hallelujah,
My brothers and sisters are all aboard, hallelujah.

Michael row the boat ashore, hallelujah,
Michael row the boat ashore, hallelujah.
The river is deep and the river is wide, hallelujah,
Milk and honey on the other side, hallelujah.

Michael row the boat ashore, hallelujah,
Michael row the boat ashore, hallelujah.
Jordan's river is chilly and cold, hallelujah,
Chills the body but not the soul, hallelujah.

Michael row the boat ashore, hallelujah,
Michael row the boat ashore, hallelujah.
--Traditional

One of my aunts passed away this past Monday. On the internet, you can find she buried an infant daughter in Mahaddei, Somalia, in January of 1958. And that she lost a sister in 1987. And that a Somali "Muslim Mennonite Sufi" living and teaching in Montreal dedicated a poem to her.

She spent most of her life within a one-mile radius of the house where she was born and raised. Her family settled next door to my grandparents when they returned from Africa. The church was half a mile or so away. She made a home for her husband and six children. She looked in on, and cared for my grandmother, until she passed away. She served the church for many years as member and minister's wife. She had a ready smile, a steady faith, a strong will, a great deal of energy, and a huge garden. She fed many people. Like my grandmother, she was interested in people, especially relatives. She noticed and took pleasure in the simple, daily joys of life, the sign of a grateful heart. In her later years, she spent a great deal of time taking care of grandchildren.

I cannot sum up a person in a blog post. I wish I had been able to see her more often.

Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints. Psalm 116:15.

13 comments:

  1. Precious, indeed.

    I didn't know anything but the title of the song you posted. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:12 PM

    Please accept my sympathy for the loss of your dear aunt. It is always hard to lose a member of your family but it is such a comfort to know that she knew the Lord and that you will see her again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Martin and islandsparrow. It is a comfort that she knew/knows the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry for your loss Julana. She sounds like an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pray God gives you comfort! Thanks for sharing her story with us. She sounds like I wonderful women.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julana, I can almost see her! She reminds me of many wonderful 'aunties' I know. May you be comforted in your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Catez, Hannah, and Violet. I was blessed. There are so many things that can't be put into words--the twinkle in the eye, the sense of humor, the warm alto weaving harmony on Sunday mornings in the small country church.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julana, thank you for this, my prayers are with you and the families.

    Be encouraged!
    GBYAY

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julana, I am just now catching up on my blog reading. I am so sorry for your loss. She sounds like an amazing person. How blessed you are to have had her in your life! At the funeral I went to yesterday for my friend that passed away, the minister reminded us that when someone that special goes home to be with the Lord, it is up to us to choose to "follow them as they followed the Lord."

    Thanks also for the hymns you have been posting. Something about reading the words in black & white really brings home the message of the song. I am really enjoying them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, John. This is the aunt who introduced her daughter to Narnia, who in turn, showed me the way into the War Drobe. She was a special person.

    Lori,
    That is such a good thought,from your pastor.
    I'm finding these old spirituals surprisingly relevant, during this season of Lent. They resonate with me, in a way they never have before. There's a kind of deep faith and patience in them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She sounds inspiring. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:08 AM

    My thoughts are with you and your family. I know you find comfort in the knowledge she is with our heavenly Father.

    She sounds extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Mel and Mopsy. She was one of kind. I know all people are. But some hold that special place in your heart, especially people from your childhood.

    ReplyDelete