Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Spiritual discipline: celebration

The world is filled with reasons to be downcast. But deeper than sorrow thrums the unbroken pulse of God's joy, a joy that will yet have its eternal day. To set our hearts on this joy reminds us that we can choose how we respond to any particular moment. We can search for God in all circumstances, or not. We can seek the pulse of hope and celebration because it is God's reality. Heaven is celebrating. Right now the cherubim, seraphim, angels, archangels, prophets, apostles, martyrs, and all the company of saints overflow with joy in the presence of their Creator. Every small experience of Jesus with us is a taste of the joy that is to come. We are not alone--and that in itself is reason to celebrate. Adele Ahlberg Calhoun, Spiritual Disciplines Handbook, IVP Books, 2005, p. 27.

12 comments:

  1. I SO needed to hear that today, Julana! My dad is having valve replacement surgery in a couple of days & next Thursday we go to court to finalize guardianship of Evan. Thank you so much for the reminder that our joy is eternal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A cheerful heart does you good like a medicine! :)

    Be encouraged!
    GBYAY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julana,
    I just recently found out that celebration was considered a spiritual discipline in a book our small group is reading. Thanks for sharing this quote.

    peace,
    Christie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:41 PM

    Thatlooks like a very good bookd Julana.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:41 PM

    yikes - where did those typos come from?? sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori,
    You'll be in my prayers. I know that transition with Evan has deep emotional connotations. We're going to walk there someday, too. God be with you.

    Thank you, John. :-)

    Christie,
    Celebration as a discipline is new to me, too. And I've found thinking about it the last few days to be a real encouragement. To think that at the heart of the universe, celebration is always going on, and we can join in, where we are, at any time.

    Islandsparrow,
    I've found it very interesting, so far. She doesn't spend a lot of time (3 pages) on each discipline because she covers so many, but she gives detailed charts for each one that can lead you into a lot of depth, if you spend time with them:
    the desire fulfilled, the definition, the scripture support, practice, and fruit. She also gives questions for reflection, spirtual exercises, and related resources.

    Typos welcome here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:09 PM

    "To think that at the heart of the universe, celebration is always going on, and we can join in, where we are, at any time..."

    That's a powerful statement and one worth pondering...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I'm hearing parts of Handel's Messiah in my head this week: Blessing and honor and glory and power be unto Him, be unto Him that sitteth upon the throne, and to the Lamb.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very powerful, something which I needed to hear right now as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love rhis part immensely "We can seek the pulse of hope and celebration because it is God's reality."

    God's "reality". Now that is something to mull over for awhile! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're welcome, My Kid's Mom.

    Pilot Mom,
    Makes me think,too.

    I think that will be the full experience of it, Curious Servant--when we reach that place. And we can get bits of it here.

    ReplyDelete