Monday, August 21, 2006

August thanksgiving 6

The last week or two has involved a little stress. At times like this, I become thankful for small things that don't necessarily make an exciting blog post:

--the next generation of physical therapists, energetic and eager to learn so they'll be better able to serve (we went down to the university three weeks in a row, to help demonstrate)
--a modern washer and dryer
--the motivation to undertake a major de-cluttering of the house (the stuff goes to a thrift store staffed by volunteers, that gives its profit to missions)
--real life friends
--the variety of fresh fruit in season this time of year (peaches, berries, melons)
--the humble zinnias outside my kitchen window, attracting a hummingbird and butterflies
--our son's new red (adaptive) tricycle!
--my husband, who goes to work every weekday to support his family

It's back-to-school time here already. Last week our son got new shoes and a haircut. This week, we'll pick up school supplies and a few clothes. It will be good to get back into a routine, but it's hard to bid the lazy days of summer goodby.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:27 AM

    Amen! The summer flew...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These things are great, and we are commanded to be thankful in all things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:06 PM

    I love your list. Rather exciting as far as I am concerned. I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tonia,
    It surely did . . . as it always does, but faster every year.

    Martin,
    I know; I think it would reduce all the prescriptions for anti-depressants in the country if more people focused on being grateful.

    Philippa,
    Thank you. :-) It is about perspective. Parts of it were exciting to me--especially the hummingbird and the new tricycle. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy very much learning about you and your life. The joy of the Lord seems to ooze out of all your writing -- even when you discuss somber topics -- and you always dispense such encouragement. Keep on smiling and trusting the Lord -- both you and I know that He never fails!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:04 PM

    School is beckoning up here too. I need to go in and get my library set up but I've been delaying. Fall phobia :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. School starts Monday for my youngest; college looms on the 11th for my oldest. The summer slipped by on a gentle breeze. . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too love your thankful list. It reminds me of the small things in my life for which I'm thankful. But *sigh* summer almost over is not one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He must feel like a million bucks with new shoes and a new haircut. Good one.
    Enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Beachlover. I appreciate the encouragement. I do have my struggles, but don't put them on the blog too much; it's a rather public place. :-)

    Islandsparrow,
    I'd have Fall Phobia too, if my winter was as long as yours. But you have such fantastic summer memories to carry you through. You never have to leave your island to be on vacation!

    My Kid's Mom,
    It slipped by on gentle heat wave down here! :-) We start school next week.

    Thank you, Curious Servant.

    Violet,
    I'm not thankful to say goodby to extra time with our son, but I won't be sorry to see the heat go. You probably had a much milder summer out there in BC.

    Barbara,
    We got a new camera, and my speed at getting photos from camera to the pc is not as fast as it was, or you'd have some pictures this summer. :-)
    The difference in our educational systems is fascinating. The way your children get locked into a career by the testing they have at such an early age is a little intimidating. That must be hard on some, who don't take tests well.

    Catez,
    He's pretty happy about something. :-) We picked up schools supplies over at the school this week, and I think he knows school's about to start again. He really likes school.

    ReplyDelete