Today I took my son over to school to meet his teacher and see his new classroom. She was very kind, and I think he will have another good year. I was happy to find he will have the same aide he's had the past two years. He has made great progress working with her.
I am thankful for the school district we live in, and for the staff at the building where our son attends, in particular. The principal, teachers, and aides have always made him feel welcome and are positive models for the children, in the way they relate to our son. They accept and affirm him, communicating his right to be part of the group. We are fortunate.
Good one. Liking a teacher is so important for a kid - and the teacher liking them too.
ReplyDeleteI've been thinking about your son the last couple of days. He has a wonderful Mom.
I'm glad he has this continuity.
So glad to hear there is a such a "good fit". If you don't mind my asking (but I'd understand if you didn't want to answer), which school district are you in?
ReplyDeleteGood news!
ReplyDeleteCatez,
ReplyDeleteThank you. Continuity is always an issue in the special needs community, especially with nonverbal people. So much depends on being able to read body language.
It also helps the child if the parent and teacher like each other. :-)
MKM,
Can you email me off the blog at lifeinthe slowlane@_mail.com? I'm glad to tell you, but not the whole world.
We moved here just for the quality of special ed. Otherwise we'd be in the country!
I'm so glad things are working out for your son in your school.What a blessing and a relief! It is good to hear about such a positive example of inclusion.
ReplyDelete