I've decided I need to take the summer off from blogging, to focus on "first things" in my life. This blog's original title, "Numbering Our Days," was taken from a great New Year's post by Amanda.
I'm returning to that title, as a reminder.I don't make resolutions on the eve of a new year. Instead, I ask myself one question: This time next year, will I still be among the living?
It isn't a morbid thought; it is simply the most practical way I know of to focus my mind and heart on living--rather than merely existing--through the coming year. As Samuel Johnson said, the prospect of imminent death concentrates the mind wonderfully; and for all I know, my death may be mere heartbeats away. I'm young, but I've had friends who died younger. I'm healthy, but I've had friends who died healthier. The path from the womb leads to the tomb.
For those of us who know that death is but a sleep and an awakening, the fact that we are all dying is not cause for alarm. But it is cause for deliberate living.
Further listening: Son of mine (HT: This Side of Glory)
*A car accident, a shooting, cancer.
I'll miss your blog while you're on hiatus. Take care!
ReplyDeleteI'll miss your posts but it's always good to take time for reflection & prioritizing. Thank you again for all you prayers & encouragement during my rough times. Have a wonderful summer with your family. I'll be praying for you & yours. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Mel and Lori. As I get older, I have to face the fact that my days are numbered.
ReplyDeleteI need to focus on helping my son acquire skills that will help him have a better life when I'm no longer here.
Good luck to you, a break is a way of making fallow ground...I'll keep checking back from time to time!
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful summer, and hopefully, we'll see you again in the fall. God bless you and yours.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Jennifer. That's a good image. I actually came across a song titled "Fallow Ground" yesterday, doing a search using "Mennonite" and "mp3."
ReplyDeleteThank you, My Kid's Mom. Hope you have a great summer, too. They fly by so quickly.
God willing, I'll read your work when you start blogging again. God's best.
ReplyDeletelet me know when you begin blogging again.
ReplyDeleteOh Julana, you will be missed. But I sure respect your priorities. I hope your summer is surprisingly wonderful! (I've bloglined you, so I'll know when you're back ;)
ReplyDeleteThank you, Martin and Violet. Hope you have a good summer, too!
ReplyDeleteI'll let you know, Truevyne. :-)
God bless
ReplyDeleteThank you, Curious Servant.
ReplyDeletePeace... relax...
ReplyDeleteGod bless
I hope you are enjoying your summer, Julana.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Curious Servant and Mopsy.
ReplyDeleteIt's surprising how much time the blogging hiatus freed up--to read books and listen to some good audio downloads.
The summer is going fast, as always. Am also enjoying seasonal produce. :-)
I think of my own death at least weekly. I don't want to have any regrets,d like the song, "Live Like you are dying".
ReplyDeleteLIVE a wonderful summer.
Leticia,
ReplyDeleteThank you--I think of my own death more than I used to. The necessity of preparing my son for it forces me to. This part of life is short, no matter how you look at it.
I came over about a wek ago tolet you know I'm back, but Blogger was playing up and kept eating my comment.
ReplyDeleteAnd you had taken the summer off - it was like we were travelling on different freeways or something.
Hope the summer has been good for you.
Hey Catez,
ReplyDeleteI was concerned about you! Glad to see you back, and know you're ok.
The summer was good, but too short, as usual. The older I get, the faster time seems to fly.
(I'd like to get your suggested graphic up, in support of the Koreans held prisoner in the Middle East, but struggle with that Blogger layout picture element.)