1 angel food cake
1 (3 oz.) pkg. strawberry jello
1 (3 oz.) pkg. lime jello
1 (3 oz.) pkg. orange jello
1 gallon vanilla ice cream (won't use all of it)
1 pt. strawberries, fresh or frozen
1 pt. blueberries, fresh or frozen
1 small can mandarin oranges
Cut cake into thirds. Pull apart into bite size pieces. Put in three bowls. Add strawberry jello (dry) to one bowl, orange jello to one bowl, and lime to one. Stir together to coat.
Layer in angel food cake pan:
layer of vanilla ice cream
strawberry coated cake
sliced strawberries
layer vanilla ice cream
lime coated cake, blueberries
layer of vanilla ice cream
orange coated cake
mandarin oranges
layer of ice cream
Freeze 24 hours. Cut with electric knife (or maybe one dipped in hot water).
A conversation with a friend reminded me of this recipe my mother used to make. I think I'll try it, as we bid farewell to summer. If I remember right, it's on the sweet side, so may I reduce the amount of jello mixed with the cake. It's colorful, and children like it. The recipe on Cooks.com says it serves 20-25, but I don't think we found it went that far!
Yum, that sounds so good--and pretty!
ReplyDeleteWelcome back! How was your summer?
ReplyDeleteHi Mel,
ReplyDeleteThey left some tasty memories, and they were pretty. Too bad you're on a diet!
(Maybe I should have added you might need to run hot water over the pan to get the cake loose--but can't remember.)
Thank you, Lori. :-) It was too short and too hot! But we did have good health, good food, and some good times. Fortunately, nothing like your drama with Evan.
Hi Julana! It's good to see you posting again. The recipe looks fun to make. I will change the name of your blog on my blogroll (long overdue, I know).
ReplyDeleteThank you, Mopsy. It's a little sad to let go of the old name, but my perception of the pace of time has changed. We're flying through at 60 seconds/minutes, just like everyone else!
ReplyDeleteWelcome back, Julana!!! Hope you had a nice summer. Just wanted to let you know that my oldest, who is a nursing student, will soon become an ABA instructor for an autistic 6 year old boy in our community. She's excited about this prospect. I'm certain he'll be teaching her just as much as she'll be teaching him! Take Care!
ReplyDeleteThank you, MKM.
ReplyDeleteABA is becoming a household word any more. I just found a couple of my relatives are part of a team, helping a child in their church. I'm sure your daughter's efforts will make a big difference to that child and his family.
Just stopping by to say "hello", and wishing you a beautiful autumn.
ReplyDeleteJulana,
ReplyDeleteYou wouldn't believe where I am just now -- all the way to Fort Severn and the "girls" are asking about you: Connie, Evelyn and Mary Ann. Remember?
Ida Marie
Julana
ReplyDeleteHi there old friend! This is Evelyn Stoney all the way from Fort Severn. My last name was "Thomas" back in Cristal Lake. I'm married and have 6 children. 1 grandchild and another one on the way. My husband and I are both serving the Lord.
Thinking about you!
Bye!
Evelyn Stoney in Fort Severn, Ont.
Oh, Ida Marie, I wish I were up there with you. I'd love to see the "girls" now that they are grown, and to see Fort Severn, too. How amazing it must be up there. I remember the aroma of muskeg and the sound of silence, which you never hear down here.
ReplyDeleteEvelyn,
I can hardly imagine you so grown up with all that responsibility, but I know you had the potential to handle it. You were pretty tough as a teenager. I still remember that windy day we set out across the lake in a canoe in choppy water! One of us became afraid, and we turned back, which was wise. I remember camping, too, but can't remember who all went along.
I must be getting old, because that seems almost like yesterday--the smell of bannock, and fresh caught fish in the pan over the fire.
You should email me a picture. :-) And send me your email address, if you have one. :-)
Wonder how MaryAnn is? She was shy, and had a great sense of humor. I bet she's a wise one, by now.
Hi to Connie, too! I still see her as the young sister. I cannot imagine her any older. You all had a lot of spirit, and I know you've grown into great women. God bless you all.
I'm so glad to hear from you!
Hope you had great holidays. That Hopkins quote at the top sure reminds us of what's important in life!! Hope you're enjoying lots of cake!!!
ReplyDelete