Sunday, July 24, 2005

Summer joy 5: green fields














Soybeans (neighboring field)

July 25 addition:
. . . . the drive from here to the hospital is so pretty. I steer clear of the interstate and take Highway 61, known to southeast Missourians as “the old highway,” through a couple of dozen miles of rolling farmland. The trees along Highway 61 are so green this week that Technicolor couldn't begin to capture their intensely saturated hue, . . . . Art, I'm sure, means more to city dwellers who live far from such natural pleasures, and when I return home to the city, mine will mean more to me. At present, though, I'm happy to revel in the world around me as I drive to and from my temporary job as a caregiver. That seems to be all the beauty I need.
(from About Last Night, where arts critic Terry Teachout is blogging about leaving New York to spend some time caring for his aging, ailing mother, in his southeast Missouri hometown.)
(Apologies to aggregators and rss feeds, if this repeated. Blogger is not wysiwyg with text wrapping photos.)

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:31 PM

    A photo of soybeans might not rattle anyone else, but it me. I got a memory of traveling south to visit my parents' families in Illinois, Indiana, Missouri when I was a child. The roads were lined with soybean fields. Those long trips with Mom and Dad with two small ones in the front between them and four more in the back didn't happen often. So we looked forward to them. This truly is art, Julana, in its most natural form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Paula. I loved that quote. Teachout is an art/drama/music critic in New York, for several big papers (Wall Street Journal, etc.). He experiences the best the world has to offer, in the way of "higher" art forms. He goes home to the Midwest, and Art fades next to natural reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved seeing the soybean fields on our trip to Missouri last summer. I have a wonderful photo with a farm house and their field that I could share with you over email if you wanted to see it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to meet you, sprittibee. Bet there's a story behind that name. I would like to see your pohto.

    ReplyDelete