Tuesday, August 02, 2005

"We are protecting our children from the wrong things!"

Last week our Beth Moore video covered goodness and kindness, in her series on fruit of the spirit. Goodness, not passive, does (acts).

She had recently spoken with a woman who was pregnant with a baby with Down syndrome. The mother had come to terms with the diagnosis, and believed the baby would be a blessing to their family. However, she was worried about the effect the baby would have on her other children, concerned about the sacrifices they would have to make. Beth exclaimed, "We are protecting our children from the wrong things!"

She shared about how much her daughters had learned about selflessness during the years they had had a child with special needs in their house.* The little boy had cost time and money, but she felt the blessings he brought were well worth the sacrifice.

She knew a family who had a child with Down syndrome. The siblings had to help with things like riding on the bus and finding the way into the school in the morning. Beth asserted that helping was good for those children. It taught them to think of others. The expectant mother need not worry about a child with special needs depriving her other children. "We are protecting our children from the wrong things."

*I'm not sure whether he was fostered or adopted. Eventually, after five to seven years (I think) he left.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:41 PM

    Good Post, so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My older brother went to a high school where there was a large group of Down symdrome teens mainstreamed into the school. He said that he learned more from going to school with them than he did from the teaching he received. I can't imagine how much richer a learning experience it is when we live day in and day out with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jami, Sparrow, Kim,
    I am attending a Partners in Policymaking session again this Saturday. The topics will be (1) siblings and (2) assistive technoloby. I am glad to be going into it with this positive feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julana, one of the churches that I ministerd to in Australia, had a large Down symdrome group, it was amazing to see the love they had for the Lord and for each other, the rest of the congregation seemed quite dim, to their brightness.

    GBYAY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:57 PM

    At a church I used to be a member of, there was a Sunday School devoted specially to people with special needs. They had their own program and celebrations. It was a wonderful expereince for the kids of the church, especially my children. They learned more about unconditional love and not to be afraid because some acts a little different than they do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Barbara.
    John and Philippa,
    It is so encouraging to me as a parent to hear stories like this. I may have to get a few of my offline parent-friends to read these comments.
    I try to imagine a person with Down syndrome with an Australian accent, sounding like the Wiggles! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, I have enjoyed a couple of Beth Moore's studies in the past, she always has great things to say! We definitely do not need protection from the blessings that God chooses to place in our lives!

    ReplyDelete