Aurelio's has the best pizza in Chicago, and the best Aurelio's is the original one, in the suburb of Homewood. The first few bites of thin crust pepperoni had me thinking, "This is as good as chocolate!"
You can bake bacon evenly in the oven, on a jelly roll pan, at 375 degrees, until it's done.
Stores are closed in observance of the Sabbath, in South Holland, a Chicago suburb.
Sand Ridge Nature Center, a 235-acre nature preserve in South Holland, is part of 21,000+ acres set aside by the Cook County Commissioners in the early part of the 20th century. They foresaw the future growth of the city and the need for natural preservation. Chicago magazine designated Sand Ridge "Best Family Outing" in 2003. Its butterfly garden contained plants which are also native to our area. It fights some of the same non-native aggressors we do: garlic mustard, Japanese honeysuckle, purple loosestrife.
You may eat shrimp on the sidewalk at the Navy Pier Bubba Gump Shrimp Company one hot summer day. Six years later, you may return in autumn; it's cooler. You get the "best table in the house," with windows on two sides, and a couple signs hanging over your son's head.*
Speaking of whom, he made it clear during the trip that he appreciates a king-size bed and McDonald's hot apple pies. Either of which is preferable to pizza, chocolate, or shrimp.*And the very cool waiter at the next table will stop to tell you he has an 18-year-old brother with Down syndrome, who is ornery, like your son.
That sign was actually over your son's head?! That is very cool! Glad you had a good time!
ReplyDeletespeaking of Pizza. When I was up in Ohio I thoroughly enjoyed Pizzaria Uno's deepdish pepperoni and mushroom. Topped it off with the Great American--an Apple crisp. mmmgood.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Vashti. :-) It's always good to come back. Especially after finding three screws in a flat tire, in Indiana. :-) Which necessitated a detour for replacement, taking several hours. :-)
ReplyDeleteYes, Violet. Isn't that something? I hoped it meant WORDS are in the offing. :-)
HPJ,
Yes, Uno's is good. But I have to say, Aurelio's has them beat. According to my husband's relatives, it is a myth that the traditional Chicago pizza is deep dish. It is actually thin crust, with a lot of cheese, and a little bit of very tasty tomato sauce. I think that secret recipe tomato sauce is what makes it.
I love Chicago in the fall. Did you go downtown and walk by all the beautiful brownstones off Michigan Avenue. I love the Shedd Aquarium there too.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you had a good time.
It was nice reading about your trip. Snapshots, put together, do just as well as the big picture sometimes, and I can tell you really enjoyed your weekend.
ReplyDeleteI have always wanted to go to Chicago. We are only 6 hours away & my friends & I have a big trip scheduled there next spring. I have to try this pizza. I can't imagine anything being as good as chocolate though.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a great time. The sign is awesome! Also, where did you learn that about bacon? I will have to give it a try.
My daughter swears by Lou Malnotti's pizza (another Chicagoland institution)-- in the city and in the suburbs.
ReplyDeleteChicago is a fascinating city. Sounds like you had a great trip.
Linda
Hi Beachlover,
ReplyDeleteWe did drive around downtown, Chinatown, and a beautiful, recently renovated area just south of downtown. I lost track of street names, but they looked liked brownstones to me. We also drove through the University of Chicago campus, and a few other interesting neighborhoods.
We didn't go to the big museums or the aquarium this time, although we have in the past. We spent most of the time walking around Navy Pier, enjoying the fall weather, eating, putting our son on the merry-go-round, viewing Lake Michigan.
Amanda,
You must be well-traveled. :-) I bet you love the bookstores.
Thank you, Mopsy. I have ADD half the time, so am compelled to take the snapshot route. :-)
Lori,
I learned about the bacon from my husband's aunt, whose sister told her that's how they do it at the Holland Home (a nursing home, I think). You spray the pan with Pam/ olive oil first. It doesn't end up burnt on the edges and half done in the middle, and you don't have grease all over your microwave. I am wondering if you cover it with foil, to avoid spattering, though.
Lindaruth,
I have never tried Malnotti's. In the past, I think we more often had the deep dish at some Italian- sounding place-- Guiseppe's, Girardi's,????
It is a great city. It's interesting how neighborhoods maintain a sense of identity over time, in such a sea of humanity.
How lovely. :)
ReplyDeleteYes, Mel. As Violet described a few weeks back, some "God-winks."
ReplyDeleteOh, Nancy. Two recommendations for Lou Malnatti's. I'm thinking we're going to have to go back and try them, too.