For Jan Karon's Mitford fans who are interested in her formation, both as a person and a writer, see the Charlotte Observer's extensive biographical article, published August 2005.
Earlier, Dale Brown, a professor of English at Calvin College, published an interesting interview of Karon in Radix* magazine, "where Christian faith meets contemporary culture."
*Allthings2all's newest post further defines the meaning of the word "radix" for me, which reminded me of this magazine, and sent me down this path.
Thanks. My wife is a big Jan Karon fan (I've read the books, too).
ReplyDeleteYou have to love a place with a slogan like "Mitford takes care of its own!"
ReplyDeleteThanks for the link to Radix. I have never heard of the magazine, but it looks like something I'd like to read.
ReplyDeletepeace,
Christie
Thank you - I'm not finished yet, but so far her story is astonishing!
ReplyDeleteHow interesting . . . and I've actually met Dale Brown. He was a good friend of my best friend. (I met him in Grand Rapids, if I remember correctly.)
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome, Christie. I'd like to subscribe to it, along with about six other magazines. Budget. :-)
ReplyDeleteSparrow, yes,quite an eye opener. She learned to appreciate the values of Mitford the hard way, it seems.
Mel,
You're full of surprises.
I think I saw Brown once, when I was trying to get tickets to see Madeleine L'Engle and Luci Shaw speak. The moment of failure is engraved in memory. I had to settle for Annie Dillard and Donald Hall. But I did get the video.