Boy, that's the truth! It's raining like crazy today. It's still getting down into the low 40's some nights, so I can't plant yet, but I sure am wanting to!
Gorgeous! Those hosta are gonna get gigantic! I used to have them in my yard. I prefer the smaller variety that are varigated color of white and green.
Hope you'll post pics when they get planted and bloom!
Lori, We can plant perennials but not annuals. Annuals have to wait until 5/15.
Philippa, I know they get huge. I only got one as a speciman plant. We have a neighborhood path that edges our yard, under some big, aged trees. I planted it out there, along the boardwalk. I got interested in it after reading Alan Lacey's In A Green Shade, or was it Homeground? He had an essay on hostas. He collects them, among many other plants. It was on sale, and I grabbed it. I want to see how big it gets. :-)
Thank you, Martin. You must have a long growing season down there. I'm envious.
We hsve 3 hostas in our front yard. One of them is massive! We've never been able to figure out why it is so huge & the other 2 are just normal size. Same soil, same light, same water. Anyway, they can get BIG!
Lori, The differences are probably genetic, due to which cultivars you have. Sum and Substance might be the big one.
Vashti, Our yard needs help! We moved into a house in a new develoment. The previous owners had had pro landscaping done, and the few plants there are, are very controlled. Well-behaved. :-) But I will put up the bright spots. :-)
Only in the comments will you learn that my beautiful hosta is now sporting a polka-dot of bird droppings and half one leaf has been chewed off by a rabbit/ chipmunk/ raccoon. :-) But it is in the ground, near a big old oak tree.
Boy, that's the truth! It's raining like crazy today. It's still getting down into the low 40's some nights, so I can't plant yet, but I sure am wanting to!
ReplyDeleteGorgeous! Those hosta are gonna get gigantic! I used to have them in my yard. I prefer the smaller variety that are varigated color of white and green.
ReplyDeleteHope you'll post pics when they get planted and bloom!
nice!
ReplyDeleteLori,
ReplyDeleteWe can plant perennials but not annuals. Annuals have to wait until 5/15.
Philippa,
I know they get huge. I only got one as a speciman plant. We have a neighborhood path that edges our yard, under some big, aged trees. I planted it out there, along the boardwalk.
I got interested in it after reading Alan Lacey's In A Green Shade, or was it Homeground? He had an essay on hostas. He collects them, among many other plants. It was on sale, and I grabbed it. I want to see how big it gets. :-)
Thank you, Martin. You must have a long growing season down there. I'm envious.
We hsve 3 hostas in our front yard. One of them is massive! We've never been able to figure out why it is so huge & the other 2 are just normal size. Same soil, same light, same water. Anyway, they can get BIG!
ReplyDeleteLori,
ReplyDeleteThe differences are probably genetic, due to which cultivars you have. Sum and Substance might be the big one.
Vashti,
Our yard needs help! We moved into a house in a new develoment. The previous owners had had pro landscaping done, and the few plants there are, are very controlled. Well-behaved. :-) But I will put up the bright spots. :-)
Only in the comments will you learn that my beautiful hosta is now sporting a polka-dot of bird droppings and half one leaf has been chewed off by a rabbit/ chipmunk/ raccoon. :-) But it is in the ground, near a big old oak tree.
hope your hollihoks turn out better than ours did last year.
ReplyDeletethen again maybe you get a little more sunshine in the USA than we get here in Scotland
God bless
The Shugster
Thank you, Hughie. I don't know what your weather's like. We do get a lot of sun here, in summer time.
ReplyDelete